What’s real vs. what’s the Twilight Zone

Every once in awhile, I get into this zone. I wake up in the middle of the night, unable to sleep due to too many things on my mind.
For example, as I write these words, it’s 4:00 in the morning. And I’ve already been lying down thinking for 45 minutes.

Every once in awhile, I realize how crazy the world is.

In order to survive, sometimes I forget. I zoom ahead with blinders on.
But then, one thing or another boggles my mind and I have to stop, smack myself across the face, and try to assess if this weirdness is real or a Twilight Zone version of my life.

Now, I realize that some of you don’t know what the Twilight Zone is, but that’s just further proof of the craziness (please follow the link if I’m talking to you).

Do you know who Garrison Keillor is?
If you don’t, you’re part of the craziness. I’m sorry, but you are.
And no, it’s not a generational thing.
Some things, people are just supposed to know.
Call it cultural awareness, call it common sense, call it being aware of your surroundings.
Maybe I’m talking about things ‘literate’ people are supposed to know, but for me, it’s the same thing; if you’re up and moving around, you’re expected to be paying attention.

garrison_keillor_3
“Who am I?”

A GK Primer:
Garrison Keillor hosts Prairie Home Companion. It’s a variety show that’s been around for decades (more than a generation, I believe). PHC makes me laugh, think, and sing in a way that nothing else out there does. Classic Americana, really. Even edgy, quirky, and silly in a contemporary way. And I referred to Garrison as the Mark Twain of our Time yesterday because he writes more often than he breathes. He’s a prolific writer in the same way Twain couldn’t put down a pen (please tell me you know who Mark Twain is). Certain people have a lot to say. Garrison’s Lake Wobegon Days still makes me laugh and is a classic in every sense of the word.

Some of Garrison’s work: he’s contributed to a Salon blog, he has a page in Your Dictionary, been quoted a bunch, has a plethora of advice to writers, he writes The Writer’s Almanac everyday, he edits books, and he’s written so many excellent reads I can’t list them all.

My rant is done
Time to rest
Please read his work
There’ll be a test