Being a Black Ally

After my last post, a couple people asked “What’s next?” for me and, I suppose, for them. There were several suggestions in the last post for action in our local communities and readings for educating ourselves. However, these times require a certain immediacy that was missing. I did some more digging and have taken these steps:

* I went to the Black Lives Matter website. I signed up to receive updates on Black Lives Matter Lansing events…

* …which offered more reading and a link to a related organization called One Love Global that focuses more on educating people on racial equity and how to achieve it…

* …and Sarah at One Love Global connected me to Emily D. on Facebook who organizes white allies at Black rallies. So, at this point, I am signed up to be a buffer between police and Blacks at rallies. After some prayer and reflection, I’m feeling drawn to that place. There are other aspects of being an ally which Emily’s post helped me understand.

* Another thing I did this past week was stay off Facebook (besides contacting Emily). I found it quite calming and centering. That allowed me more time for reading things like White Fragility, Furious Cool, Through a Lens Darkly, the current Sun Magazine, the book of James in the Bible and watching things like I am Not Your Negro on PBS,
Ronald Vinson’s powerful message, “Letter to Your Flag”

and these bird’s eye views of protests in the US and around world.

Part of me feels like I shouldn’t have to explain what I’m doing to get myself more informed and more active. However, I’ve come to realize that once I put my ideas out there, I make myself a target for criticism. So, I’m trying to be transparent, to be as clear as possible…

I continue to learn and as I do, I continue to realize how much I don’t know. But I continue to try to understand my privilege and how I can use it to better our society for my Black brothers and sisters in God’s world. I’m doing the best I can.

Resources

* Resources for children, families, and educators

* learning activities for teens and older folks

* Black Voters are Coming for Trump

* Black Lives Matter Lansing

* Me and White Supremacy book

2 thoughts on “Being a Black Ally

1. Thank you for this and the previous post, Aram. Good stuff. And it’s a lifelong project, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t progress along the journey.