Summer of Soccer

There’s a difference between playing a sport and watching others play it. While both can be frustrating in their own ways, actually being on the field has a level of satisfaction that is impossible from the stands or from a couch.

I can remember playing soccer behind Adams High School in Rochester, MI, when I was 15, 16, and 17. It was an intramural team so the competition level was right where I like it, almost non-existent. The passion level was high though. We had big-time fun and came to love the game more and more, due mostly to our coach, Mr. Pazevic. He taught History and Russian at AHS and he possessed a touch on the ball that, to me, meant he probably had a soccer ball in his crib.

I recently saw a slideshow of African kids playing soccer with whatever type of homemade soccer ball they could find. Pazevic’s childhood was probably like this. I hadn’t grown up with the game; I’ve been playing for over 30 years, and I’m very comfortable with a soccer ball, but it’s not instinctual or genetic. When I was young, the three popular sports to play on my street were baseball, kickball, and football (with a bit of kick-the-can thrown in).

So, yes, I love to play the game. My days on the over-40 mens league that I’ve played on (and off of) for several years have been some of my most enjoyable moments. I’m hoping they come up with a mid-Michigan league for over-50 guys soon so I can be the youngest on the team.

Watching soccer is still exciting, but it’s nothing like playing. When it’s the World Cup you’re watching, it’s a close second to being on the field. I’ve watched more quality soccer this summer than in a long time. I thought the US played pretty well for most of their games. That goal by Donovan, when he had no angle at all, was amazing. And our defense played at a high level for practically all of their games.

And now we have the final game on Sunday. I’ll be rooting for the Netherlands, but mostly I want to see a good match: no acrobatic, acting flops; superb passes and attacks; defensive strength; sportsmanship; and more examples of players’ love of the game. I want to see a game that makes me want to get back on the field and play. A game that brings the world together to cheer…for the game.

One thought on “Summer of Soccer