Very Vice, Very Vice

Sometimes I get quite distracted. I focus on some shiny, sparkly thing instead of what I actually want to focus on. It could be any shiny sparkly thing, but I have a specific one in mind. Let’s just call it my vice. You can substitute in your vice if it makes you happy, but I’d rather keep my vice mysterious.

My vice makes me happy for a couple reasons. First of all, I get a break from that thing I’m supposed to be doing. We all know that too much of any one thing is bad for you — even if, maybe especially if, it’s work. It seems like there is always some work I could do, whether it’s related to my job, to our house, to our cars, whatever.

Secondly, my vice temporarily feeds my soul. It makes me happy. That’s why I chose it. Enough said.

People like to talk about virtues this time of the year. I’ve been preoccupied with my vices, maybe partially from the books I’ve been reading (The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin and (on Playaway mp3) The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie). (I’ll be writing book reviews on both of them soon)

Vices can teach. Mine have taught me. I’ve learned moderation and balance from them. Too much of a distraction can wreck my whole life. It can take the focus off those I love, the work I do, the foundation of my beliefs. I learn humility from my vices, too. Of course, I never thought I was perfect, so sin is just a part of life. But we present a fairly perfect picture of ourselves to the world and, if we’re honest with ourselves, we need to look and deal with our imperfections more often. Humility is under-rated in our society; humility could use an agent. I’m reminded not to be so selfish by humility. Between my vices and my beliefs, there’s an interplay of selfishness and selflessness. Journaling gives me time to remember that I need to be more about others and find balance when things starts to get out of whack. Maybe you need that reminder, too. If so, you’re welcome. If not….never mind.