4 thoughts on ““What is Ludicrous, Convoluted, and Unfathomable, Alex?”*

1. I guess it all comes back to your last sentence: “Thank God for them and for those moments.” Bureaucrats and bean counters will always be a threat to good teachers, but thank God for people like you who have the strength and the faith to carry on! And, btw, congrats to Rachel and her good man! Carry on!

2. Thanks for your comment, Nancy. I’ll pass on well-wishes to Rachel and Robbie.
    We’ll keep carrying on! ‘They’ are making it harder, but we’re still keeping the faith.

3. We aren’t “on” Jeopardy, we are “in” jeopardy…which, if you consult your dictionary, means we are in danger or risk of harm. I’m sure you are just kidding around, but it’s serious business that I’m talking about.
    The pay for teachers is remaining constant or going down these days, Gavin. We’re paying more for health care than we ever have and if we get a Cost of Living raise in any contract, it seems like a victory. The cult of testing fanatics would have you believe that our students are learning less and are not competitive with the world. That translates to people looking over our shoulders all the time. I’m fine with being held accountable, but as my article points out, it’s a ridiculous system. I’m concerned, for example, if students these days (like you) would even consider being a teacher. As much as a young person may want to help others learn/discover the world, the culture that surrounds teaching these days seems to get in the way of that goal.