“Reading any good books?”

The days are too short.

It’s a miracle that I can get the stuff done that I need to get done. But then there’s the whole list of things I “want” to do which I add to my days…somehow. And I want to read. I was born curious. I’m beginning to think that somewhere along the way I have combined my natural curiosity with a variation of Attention Deficit Disorder; my short attention span is fueled/drugged by a plethora of interesting information and promising fiction. For example, I can honestly say that right now I am reading nine books (that’s not counting a few newspapers and magazines). It’s a ridiculous number…and yet I choose to do it because I love to do it.

Here’s what I’m reading these days:

> The Measure of a Man, by Gene Getz — The current, thought-provoking text for our weekly Men’s group at church.

> Bob Dylan’s Chronicles, Volume One — An amazing, autobiographical look into the singer/songwriter’s passionate life journey. It reads like poetry.

> Haiku Mind: 108 Poems to Cultivate Awareness and Open Your Heart by Patricia Donegan — I’m reading one haiku a night as medicine for my soul.

> The New, Complete Joy of Home Brewing, by Charlie Papazian — I’m really just skimming this text so that I have something quasi-competent to say when I attend my He-Brews Men’s group (that’s right, it’s a play on words…a bunch of Christian guys teaching each other how to brew beer).

> Alone Together: Why We Expect More From Technology and Less From Each Other by Sherry Turkle — I just started this book, which I checked out of the library. It came highly recommended from a friend who knows of my love-hate relationship with technology.

> Peace is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life by Thich Nhat Hanh — Also recommended by a good friend, this book is probably helping me the most right now: to slow down, to be in the moment, to center, to be authentically me.

> Operation Falcon by Abby Seal — Last week, one of my students gave me a copy of a book she published. After my shock subsided, I congratulated her, shared how excited and impressed I was, and vowed to read it as soon as possible. The fact that I have students who write in their free time re-energizes me for teaching. It’s darn encouraging to know that some of my students choose to share their thoughts publicly (including on our class wiki) without worrying about a “grade.” She published it using a site called createspace.

> Algernon, Charlie, and I: A Writer’s Journey by Daniel Keyes — I have taught Flowers for Algernon for several years, but this book by the author is giving me insights I plan to share with my current students.

> Anne Lamont’s Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith — I open this book randomly from time to time and it continues to connect to my life in profound ways.

I may write more about a couple of them at some point, but I am glad I don’t have to write a “book report” about each one. I consider myself a life-long learner these days, which is a fancy way of saying I get to choose what I read from the recommendations of friends, family, colleagues, and the media. And no due dates or book reports. (though at some point soon, I will be taking an actual class to keep my teaching certification…)

Recently, I was asked what I am currently reading. I am an occasional contributor to the I-Anthology with a group of writing teachers across the country. I couldn’t decide which book to share, so I didn’t get into their digital recommendation video. Bill Moyers, of the Moyers and Company television show, also has been thinking about book recommendations lately. His viewers submitted a list of Book Recommendations for President Obama that is interesting. That same link has other book lists: Required Reading list for Americans; Most Challenged books; Bill’s recommended books; and Bill’s Summer Books list.

So many books, so little time. I’ll throw in one more list — a couple years ago, my students created an alphabetical list of book reviews they had written. It’s helpful if you are interested in delving into some of the best Young Adult fiction out there. Whatever list you use, please stop reading this blog and pick up a book. Use your right to read and think…while we still have it.

One thought on ““Reading any good books?”

1. I am currently reading your blog from Little Rock, AK as we make our way to warmer climes. I will be following you on my new Nexus 10 tablet, where I will also write my travel blog, and where I found great joy in loading up a bunch of library books that I won’t have to “return” in the usual way. They will magically disappear on their due date. I didn’t ever think I would get into reading on a tablet but I didn’t anticipate this advantage. I also have saved several free classics like Pride and Prejudice and some Charles Dickens. So I am looking forward to this new dimension in reading over the coming weeks. That’s a form of life-long learning, isn’t it?